Riverside County


Juvenile Probation Department
9889 County Farm Rd.
Riverside, CA 92503
(951) 358-4310
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application to seal your juvenile records, request the application material from the Riverside County Probation Department in person or by mail. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return your completed application either in person or by mail to the Probation Department along with a pay stub if you are working and/or a copy of your high school/college diploma or GED.



$0 for those currently under age 26.

Time frame

3-6 months


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the probation officer will send the recommendation to a judge who will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. There is no formal hearing, but you will be notified of the decision by mail.

Tracking your application

You can track your application by calling the Probation Department.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail if your application is denied. You may not reapply.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact cjcjmedia@cjcj.org or (415) 621-5661 x121.