Fresno County


Probation Department
3333 American Ave
Fresno, CA 93725
(559) 600-4771
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application, contact the Fresno County Probation Department to have it sent to you by mail, or download it here or from the Fresno County website. Along with your application, you will need to send verification of your present or most recent job (letter from employer or pay stub), verification of military service if any (Military I.D. acceptable), and the $100 fee in the form of a money order.

After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, complete the forms and return them to the Probation Department by mail or in person.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

Money orders are the only accepted form of payment

Time frame

3-6 months

Once you have submitted your application, allow 2-3 months for initial processing and investigation. Depending on the court schedule, your hearing could be scheduled another few months after the initial investigation is finished.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, your probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

If the application is submitted via mail, the probation officer assigned to your case will contact you to let you know when your court hearing date is.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing, but you are strongly encouraged to attend in order to answer any questions the judge may have.

Tracking your application

Applications may be tracked by contacting the probation officer working on your case.

More information at Fresno County Website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If you are not present at the hearing you will be sent a letter of denial via mail from the Juvenile Court Clerk. If you are present in court you will be notified in person by the judge. There is no time limit on reapplying, but you will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.