Lassen County


Probation Department
107 S. Roop
Susanville, CA 96130
(530) 251-8212
Map and directions »


Not available online

In order to get a application to seal your juvenile record, you must first pay the $30 fee at the Office of Recovery and Reimbursement and bring a copy of the receipt to the Lassen County Probation Department. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, submit your completed application to the Probation Department either in person or by mail. If you mail in your application, you will not be notified that your application has been received, though possible exceptions may be made if you are living outside the state.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

Acceptable forms of payment are cash, money order, personal checks, and credit card (payments made by credit cards will be charged an extra $3 processing fee).

Time frame

About 30 days


After turning in your application

After receiving the form, a probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, he or she will pass the report onto the district attorney and juvenile court clerk. Most cases do not involve court hearings, however depending on the nature of the case a hearing may be required. If your case requires a court hearing, it will be either strongly advised or mandatory that you attend.

Tracking your application

The application can be tracked. If submitted through probation department call the department, if submitted through an attorney call your attorney.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If your application is denied, you will be notified most likely via telephone. You will then be referred to an attorney to aid in the process of reapplying. It is possible to reapply for the record seal depending on the nature of the case, though some cases cannot be reapplied. You may have to repay the application fee when you reapply.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.