Alpine County


Probation Department
14777 State Route 89
PO Box 458
Markleeville, CA 96120
Map and directions »

Alpine Superior Court
14777 California 89
Markleeville, CA 96120
(530) 649-2113
Map and directions »


Not available online

To seal your juvenile record in Alpine County, your case must have been either adjudicated in, or transferred to Alpine County. If this is true for you, you may contact the Alpine County Probation Department to seal your juvenile record by submitting a letter requesting to do so. In the letter, provide your personal information (full name, birthdate, contact information), an account of your offenses, and a detailed list of agencies that may have records of contact with you. If your case was tranferred to Alpine County, make sure you also list all the agencies from the previous county or counties.You can submit this letter to Chief Probation Officer Gordon Morse either to the Alpine County Probation Department via mail, or email it to

Download request letter



$0 for those currently under age 26.

Time frame

3-6 months

The time frame depends on the work load of the probation department.


After turning in your application

You will likely be contacted by a probation officer and asked a few follow-up questions regarding your letter. After doing so, the probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabiliation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing.

Tracking your application

You could track your application process by contacting the Probation Department. After the court hearing has been calendared, you can contact the court.

More information at Alpine County Probation website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

There is no follow-up mechanism to make sure the listed agencies have indeed sealed your records, nor is there a mandated timeline listed on the order. You can follow up with the Probation Department to make sure your files have been sealed.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.