Madera County


Probation Department
Juvenile Services Division
28261 Ave. 14
Madera, CA 93638
(559) 675-4970
Map and directions »

Juvenile Court
209 W. Yosemite Ave.
Madera, CA 93637
(559) 675-7786
Map and directions »


Not available online

To get an application to seal your juvenile record, contact the Probation Department Juvenile Services Division either in person or by mail. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return your completed application in person to the Probation Department, along with a copy of your I.D. and the $120 non-refundable application fee.



$0 for those currently under age 26.


There is no official waiver. However, if you go directly to the court to put your case on the court calendar, then they will waive the application fee.

Payment methods accepted:

Money orders are the only accepted form of payment.

Time frame

6-8 weeks

The process generally takes between 6-8 weeks, and it takes just 30 days have a hearing scheduled on the court calendar.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing, but it is it is recommended that you attend if you are able.

Tracking your application

You can track your application by calling the Juvenile Probation Department, where you will be referred to the officer working on your case.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If your application is denied, the court will mail you a copy of the order. There is no time limit for reapplying to seal your records, but if you choose to reapply you will have to pay the application fee again. If the order does not state the reason for denying your application, you can contact the juvenile court clerk and ask if there is something you can change on your application before you reapply.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.