Santa Barbara County


Probation Department
Lompoc Office
415 E. Cypress Ave.
Lompoc, CA 93436
(805) 737-7800
Map and directions »

Probation Department
Santa Maria Office
2121 S. Centerpointe Parkway
Santa Maria, CA 93455
(805) 739-8550
Map and directions »


Not available online

Additional contact:
Probation Department
Santa Barbara Office
4500 Hollister Ave.
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
(805) 692-4840
Map and directions »

To get the application forms to seal your juvenile records, contact the Santa Barbara Probation Department either in person, or by phone or by mail to have the materials sent to you. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application along with a copy of a photo I.D. and the $85.17 fee to the Probation Department by mail or in person.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Time frame

3-5 months


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a Probation Officer will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

A court hearing may be held if any of the involved agencies object to you sealing your record, or if you and or your attorney request a hearing. If this is the case, the superior court will calendar a hearing with a judge, a probation officer, the district attorney, and possibly the objecting agency. In this case, it is recommended that the you and/or your attorney be present for the hearing.

Tracking your application

Not available

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.