Del Norte County


Probation Department, Juvenile Unit
450 H Street
Room 202
Crescent City, CA 95531
(707) 464-7215
Map and directions »


Get application

In Del Norte county, you may only pick up an application to seal juvenile records in person at the Del Norte County Probation Department. However, under special circumstances you may be allowed to request an application to be sent to you via mail. The probation department prefers that you retrieve the packet in person to verify that you are actually the person who will be submitting the application. There are three documents you must fill out:

  1. Request to Seal Juvenile Records
  2. Petition to Seal
  3. Sealing Juvenile Records Checklist

After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, complete the forms and return them, along with the $75 fee, to the probation department in person.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

Check, Cash, Money Order, Credit Card, and Debit Card are accepted forms of payment.

Time frame

1 month

The process generally takes about 1 month from when the application is submitted.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing.

Tracking your application

You as the applicant are the only one who can track the status of your application. You can track your application by contacting the probation department.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.