Sutter County


Juvenile Probation Department
430 Center St.
Yuba City, CA 95991
(530) 822-4371
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application, either visit the Sutter County Probation Department in person, or contact them by phone or mail to have the application materials sent to you. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application to the Probation Department by mail or in person, along with the application fee (and the fee waiver).



$0 for those currently under age 26.


Once you submit the completed waiver form it will go to the executive secretary and they will determine whether there will be a reduced rate or if the fee will be completely wiaved.

Payment methods accepted:

Cash or checks are the only accepted forms of payment.

Time frame

3-6 months


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a Probation Officer will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabiliation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the recommendation will be sent to a judge who will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. There is no court hearing, but you will be notified of the judge's decision by mail.

Tracking your application

No tracking of application available.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If your application is denied you will be notified by mail. If you wish to appeal the decision, you may need to hire an attorney. Your attorney can file papers with the court contesting why the record was not sealed. However, you may simply need to wait a longer period of time before applying to seal your records in order to show you have rehabilitated. If that is the case, you may apply again, but you will also have to pay the fee again.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.