Kern County


Probation Department
2005 Ridge Rd.
Bakersfield, CA 93305
(661) 868-4100
Map and directions »

Superior Court of Kern County
2100 College Avenue
4th Floor
Bakersfield, CA 93305
(661) 868-4270


Get application

Download application cover letter

To get an application to seal your record, you can contact the Kern County Probation Department by phone or mail, or you can download it here or from the Kern County Probation website. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements and completely filled out your application, go to the Kern County Juvenile Justice Center “Probation Accounts Receivable” to pay the $120 application fee. Make sure to keep your receipt. Then take your receipt and your completed forms (the Application Cover Letter, a photo copy of your I.D.) to the Juvenile Hall at 1831 Ridge Rd, Bakersfield 93305. If you currently live in Kern County, you will be required to have your fingerprints taken once you get to Juvenile Hall. However, if you live outside of Kern County, you will not be required to have your fingerprints or photo taken.


$120 +$90 Court processing fee

$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

Cash, credit card, and check are acceptable methods of payment.

Time frame

6-12 months

The timeframe depends on the size of the record and the crimes committed. Generally it takes anywhere from 6 months to 1 year.


After turning in your application

After you application is received, a probation officer will conduct an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, your probation officer will ask that you pick up three copies of the "Petition to Seal Records." It is your responsibility to take these copies to the Court Clerk's Office at the Juvenile Justice Center where you must pay the $90 court processing fee. You will get to keep one copy.

It also your responsibility to make sure the court clerk calendars a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing, but the Probation Department may call to ask if you will be present at the hearing.

Tracking your application

There is no way to track your application through probations, but you may be able to track it through the court.

More information at Kern County Probation Department Website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

f your application is denied then you will be contacted and your fee will not be refunded. A letter and a copy of the Minute Order will be mailed to you stating that your petition to seal was denied. The reason for denial will not be stated. You may reapply for sealing, and there is no time limit unless the judge states otherwise.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.