Marin County


Juvenile Probation Department
4 Jeannette Prandi Way
San Rafael, CA 94903
(415) 473-6659
Map and directions »

Probation Department
Attn: Juvenile Sealing Clerk
3501 Civic Center Drive
Room 259
San Rafael, CA 94903
(415) 473-6599
Map and directions »


Get application

Get Spanish application

To get an application to seal your juvenile records, contact the Probation Department Juvenile Services Division either in person or by mail, or simply download the application material from the Marin County website. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return your completed application and the $120 non-refundable application fee to the Marin County Juvenile Probation Department in person or by mail. Be sure to write "Attn: Juvenile Sealing Clerk" on the envelope and application.



$0 for those currently under age 26.

Time frame

4-6 months

Once the probation department receives your application, it will take approximately 4-6 months to complete the process.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, he or she will send the recommendation to a judge who will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. There is no court hearing. You should receive a notification by mail that describes the judge's decision to either grant or deny your application.

Tracking your application

To track the status of your application, you can contact the probation department. However, information will only be given to the applicant (you), so your parents or guardians cannot check on your application status themselves.

More information at Marin County Probation Department Records Sealing Request Form and Instructions »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will receive a letter notifying you that your application has been denied. You may re-apply, but the time frame for doing so will be decided by the District Attorney. You will have to repay the application and court fees if you do not qualify for a waiver.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.