San Bernardino County


San Bernardino County Probation Department
Attn: Legal Department - Juvenile Sealing Requests
175 West 5th Street
San Bernardino, CA 92415-0460
(909) 387-9624
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application to seal your juvenile record, either visit the San Bernardino Probation Department - Central Juvenile Services Office in person or contact them by phone or mail to have the application forms sent to you. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application to the Central Juvenile Services Office in person or by mail along with the $85 application fee. If you are requesting a seal of your traffic record, you must include a request for traffic record sealing.


$82 +$25 Traffic court application fee

$0 for those currently under age 26.


The application fees will be waived if:

  1. the probation department cannot find juvenile records in your name, or
  2. if you attend a "Youth Accountability Board."

Payment methods accepted:

Money orders or cashiers checks are the only acceptable form of payment. Personal checks are not accepted.

Time frame

3-6 months


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a Probation Officer will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step may be to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. You do not need to attend this hearing. You will receive a receipt of payment and will be notified by mail whether your application to seal was approved or denied.

Tracking your application

You can get a status update on your application by calling the Central Juvenile Services Office.

More information »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be informed by mailtwo weeks before the court hearing if your application will be denied. You can then submit an appeal form. If your application is denied, you may reapply, but your fee will not be refunded.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.