San Diego County


Juvenile Probation Center
2901 Meadow Lark Dr.
San Diego, CA 92123
(858) 694-4600
Map and directions »

Probation Administration Center
9444 Balboa Ave.
Suite 500
San Diego, CA 92123
(858) 514-3148
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application to seal your juvenile records, you must either retrieve the forms in person from the Juvenile Probation Center or request to have one sent to you by mail. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application to the Probation Department along with whatever documents you think might show proof of reform, a photo ID, proof of enrollment in school and/or work, your high school diploma or GED if you have it, and any other accomplishments that support your case. You will be notified by mail with receipts from two forms: one receipt from a signed paper that acknowledges that you understand the process, and one receipt from the fee you paid.



$0 for those currently under age 26.


There is a waiver form available at the Juvenile Business Desk located at 2851 Meadowlark Dr., San Diego, CA 9212.

Payment methods accepted:

Exact cash or money orders are accepted forms of payment.

Time frame

6-9 months


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a Probation Officer will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing.

Tracking your application

You can track your application by calling the Juvenile Probation Center or the Juvenile Records Office.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail whether your application is denied or granted, and you will be mailed a copy of the court minute order. If your application is denied you may reapply, however you will need to pay the $150 fee each time you apply. There is no waiting period for reapplying.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.