San Joaquin County


Juvenile Probation
575 W. Mathews Rd.
French Camp, CA 95231
(209) 468-4000
Map and directions »


Not available online

To get a juvenile record sealing application, contact the Juvenile Probation Department either in person, or by phone or mail to have the forms sent to you. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application to the Juvenile Probation Department in person or by mail, along with the fee and any documentation that provides proof of your education, employment, and/or verification of military service.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

Cash or money orders are the only accepted forms of payment.

Time frame

6 months to 1 year


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a Probation Officer will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. Though you will receive a letter with the date of your hearing, it is not mandatory that you attend. However it is strongly recommended that you do attend the hearing.

Tracking your application

You can track your application by calling the Juvenile Probation Department.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

It is unclear how you will be notified if you do not attend your hearing, but if you do attend the hearing, you will be notified in person. If your application is denied, there is no time limit to reapply. Contact the probation department if you have questions.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.