Napa County


Juvenile Justice Center, Probation Department
212 Walnut Street
Napa, CA 94559
(707) 253-4361
Map and directions »


Application to Petition to Seal a Juvenile Record

Not available online

To get an application to seal your juvenile records, either contact the Probation Department to have it mailed to you, visit the Probation Department in person. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, complete the forms and either mail them back or drop them off at the Probation Department in person.



$0 for those currently under age 26.

Time frame

3-6 months


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a probation officer may contact you to ask you some questions about your application. The probation officer will then run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the probation office will petition the court to have your record sealed on your behalf.

If the probation officer does not recommend that your record be sealed, no court hearing will be scheduled, and the probation officer will notify you accordingly. If you still wish to pursue sealing your records, you may hire an attorney (or you may have access to a public defender) who can calendar a hearing and state your case to seal your records in front of a judge.

Tracking your application

You can call the Probation Department to track your application.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record. The order will give every agency 30 days to comply with the order and seal your records.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.