Butte County


Probation Department
42 County Center Drive
Oroville, CA 95965
(530) 538-7661
Map and directions »

Butte County Juvenile Court
One Court Street
Oroville, CA 95965
(530) 532-7010


Not available online

To get the proper application materials, contact the Juvenile Court Clerk and request that documents be mailed to you (530-532-7010), or pick them up from the Juvenile Court in person. The documents are not available online. If you cannot file the documents, a public defender can file the documents on your behalf. If you contact a public defender they can send you the forms and help you fill them out. You will need your case number and a photo I.D.



$0 for those currently under age 26.

Time frame

1 month

Your hearing will generally be scheduled for about two weeks after you have submitted your application.


After turning in your application

Someone will review your application to make sure your meet the eligibility requirements. If you meet the eligibility requirements, it will be recommended that your record be sealed and a court hearing will be scheduled.

Court hearing

There will be a court hearing where the judge will decide to grant to deny your petition to seal. It is strongly suggested that you attend the hearing. If you cannot, then the public defender will stand in your place.

Tracking your application

There is no way to track your application.

More information at Butte County Probation Office »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact cjcjmedia@cjcj.org or (415) 621-5661 x121.