Siskiyou County


Juvenile Probation Department, Charlie Byrd Youth Corrections Center
269 Sharps Road
Yreka, CA 96097
(530) 841-4180
Map and directions »


Not available online

To get an application, contact the Juvenile Probation Department (Charlie Byrd Youth Corrections Center) either in person, or by phone or mail to request it. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application to the Juvenile Probation Department in person or by mail.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

Personal check, money orders, cashiers check, and cash are accepted forms of payment.

Time frame

3-5 months

It takes about 3-5 weeks for the probation investigative process, and then it takes at least an additional 2-3 weeks (or more depending on the case) for the District Attorney and the Court to review the petition/memo from probation. Lastly, consider the time it takes for all parties to actually seal the records.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a Probation Officer will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabiliation. Depending on the case, they may ask for additional documents as the investigation reveals the need for further information. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or contact you stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why. This process should take up to 3-5 weeks.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. Though you will receive a letter with the date of your hearing,you do not need to attend.

Tracking your application

To track the status of your application contact the Probation Department.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

All county and city agencies that the applicant identified as having records they wish to be sealed will be notified of the Court’s orders to seal juvenile records. The probation department will notify the applicant immediately, and inquire as to the time frames for compliance from the agencies and advising the applicant of those time frames. The applicant will be advised to follow up with the Probation Department to make sure the record is sealed as required.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

The applicant will be informed via phone and follow-up letter with a copy of the Court's denial order. If the judge listed any reasons in the court order as to why the application was denied, the probation department will make sure the applicant is aware.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.