San Luis Obispo County


Juvenile Services Division
1065 Kansas Ave.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
(805) 788-2115
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application to seal your record, visit the San Luis Obispo County Probation Department in person, request the forms by mail, or download it directly from the county website on the Juvenile Services Division page. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application to the Juvenile Probation Department in person or by mail along with a copy of your photo I.D.



$0 for those currently under age 26.


The fee is subject to change. Call 805-781-5352 to confirm.

You can request a fee waiver. To do so, submit a financial declaration to the Juvenile Court for approval. If the Juvenile Court approves the fee waiver, the Probation Department will reimburse you by check which will be sent to you by U.S. mail.

Adult financial declaration (English)
Juvenile financial declaration (English)

Payment methods accepted:

If you are submitting your application by mail, accepted forms of payment are personal checks, cashier's checks, or money orders made payable to the Probation Department. If you are submitting the application in person, cash is also accepted.

Time frame

Up to 6 months


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a Probation Officer will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You will be notified of your hearing date two weeks in advance. You do not have to appear at the hearing, but it is highly recommended that you are present to answer any questions the judge may have.

Tracking your application

No way to track the application.

More information at San Luis Obispo Probation Department Juvenile Services Division website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If your application is denied, you will receive a copy of the Court Order JV590 Form where the judge has marked whether the order was granted or denied. If your application was submitted by an attorney, then your copy of the Court Order will probably go back to the attorney. If you are eligible to reapply, sometimes the judge will indicate a time frame after which you may reapply. If this is no indicated on the court order, you may contact the probation department or your attorney with questions. You will not receive a reimbursement of your application fee, and will likely have to pay it again if you reapply.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.