Santa Clara County


Juvenile Probation Department
840 Guadalupe Pkwy
San Jose, CA 95110
(408) 278-5839
Map and directions »

Probation Department
2314 North First St.
San Jose, CA 95131
(408) 435-2111
Map and directions »


Get application

Get Spanish application
Get Vietnamese application

To get an application, visit the Juvenile Probation Department in person, request the forms by phone or by mail, or download the application matierial from the Santa Clara County website. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application along with the $150 application fee to the Probation Department.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

Cashier's check or money orders are accepted form of payment if you submit your application by mail. Payment must be made payable to the Probation Department. Cash is accepted if you submit your application in person.

Time frame

3-6 months

It is strongly advised that you do not apply to seal your records until approximately 9 months after your case has been dismissed by the court or closed by the Probation Department. Even if you have turned 18, waiting 9 months gives you time to show that you have rehabilitated. Otherwise, the investigation process will be conducted shortly after the fee and completed application have been processed.


After turning in your application

Once you have submitted your application, a judge will review your application and determine whether or not to seal your record. There is no court hearing so it is important to include any supporting documents with your application to make your case as strong as possible. You will be contacted if you need to appear in court.

Court hearing

There is no court hearing. Your application goes straight to a judge for review.

Tracking your application

Call (408) 278-6121

More information at Santa Clara County probation website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for many reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude. For any questions regarding denial please contact the Santa Clara County Probation Department at (408) 278-6121.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail if your application is denied. There is no reimbursement of your fee. You can reapply once you clear up whatever obstructed the approval of your application (i.e. paying fines to the county), but you will have to submit the fee again.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.