Contra Costa County


Probation Department, Contra Costa County
50 Douglas Drive
Suite 200
Martinez, CA 94553
(925) 313-4060
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application packet, download it here or call the Probation Department to have the application sent to you by mail, or visit the Contra Costa County Probation Department to pick it up in person. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, complete the forms and return them to the Probation Department either by mail or in person. Contra Costa has removed its record sealing fee, so please ignore the $150 requirement on these application forms.



$0 for those currently under age 26.

Time frame

Up to 3 months

The entire process can take up to 3 months, depending on the case load of the probation officer assigned to the case. It takes roughly 1-2 weeks for the case to be assigned to an officer.


After turning in your application

You will receive a letter stating that the application has been received, as well as the name and contact information of the probation officer assigned to your case. After receiving your application, your probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabiliation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.
You can withdraw your application at any time and the fee will be refunded. The probation officer assigned to your case may recommend withdrawing your application, however it is ultimately up to you.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing.

Tracking your application

Contact the probation officer assigned to your case to track your application.

More information at Contra Costa County website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail if your application has been denied and will be sent a copy of the minute order. The fee is not refunded if the petition is denied.

If your application is denied, you may reapply at any time. However, if your application was denied because, for example, not enough time has passed to adequately show that you have rehabilitated, or you still have court fees to pay, you should until you have met those requirements before reapplying.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.