Sacramento County


Juvenile Services - Probation Department
4000 Branch Center Road
Sacramento, CA 95827
(916) 875-4600
Map and directions »

Juvenile Courthouse
9605 Kiefer Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95827
(916) 876-7753
Map and directions »


Get application

More information

To get an "Application to Seal Juvenile Records", visit either the Juvenile Courthouse reception window to get a copy in person, or you can download it from the Sacramento County Probation Department’s website. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application to the Juvenile Courthouse reception window in person or by mail, along with the $120 filing fee.



$0 for those currently under age 26.


Application for Waiver of Court Fees and Costs

Get the waiver forms from the Juvenile Courthouse reception window. After completing the forms, return to them to the Juvenile Courthouse either in person or by mail.

If your application to waive the fee is rejected, your Application to Seal Juvenile Records will not also be rejected. This is mistake written into the forms.

Time frame



After turning in your application

After you pay the filing fee, your application will be forwarded to a Probation Department Record Seal Officer to conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

If the Record Seal Officer finds that you are not eligible, a rejection letter will be mailed to you informing you why your application was denied and when and if you will be eligible or appropriate to reapply.

Court hearing

At the court date for eligible applicants, the Record Seal Officer will make a recommendation to the judge whether you are suitable to have your record sealed as a person who has satisfactorily attained rehabilitation. You do not have to attend this hearing, however depending on the nature of your case, a record sealing officer may recommend that you attend.
If the Court orders your juvenile record sealed, the clerk will send a copy of the order to each agency and official who has any of your records directing them to seal and destroy their records

Tracking your application

Not available

More information at Sacramento County website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.