Inyo County


Probation Department
PO Box T
Independence, CA 93526
Independence Office: (760) 878-0274
Bishop Office: (760) 872-4005
Map and directions »

Inyo County Superior Court
301 W Line St.
Bishop, CA 93514
(760) 872-3038
Map and directions »


Get application

To get a "Juvenile Record Sealing Application," contact the Inyo County Probation Department either by phone or mail. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, complete the forms and return them to the Probation Department by mail or in person, along with the $60 fee.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Time frame

3 months

The time frame depends on the work load of the probation department


After turning in your application

After receiving the packet, a probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You will be notified by the Probation Department of the date and time of the court hearing. You may or may not be advised to appear at the court hearing, depending on the nature of your record.

Tracking your application

It is possible to track the application by calling the probation department.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If you are not present at the hearing you will be notified by either the Probation Department or the Juvenile Court. If you are present at your hearing you will be notified in person by the judge. If your application is denied “without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.