Tuolumne County


Probation Department
465 S. Washington St.
Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 533-7500
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application, contact the Tuolumne County Probation Department - Juvenile Services and request a copy to be mailed by the Officer of the Day, or simply download the forms from the website. You can also pick up the forms in person.

With your application, you must also include a copy of the receipt from the Tuolumne County Office of Revenue Recovery for the $150 application fee. The application must be submitted to the Tuolumne County Probation Department in person because upon submitting your application you will be interviewed by a probation officer.

Applications are only accepted by mail where extenuating circumstances exist. If your application is sent by mail (only in special cases) you must call the Probation Department to make sure they received your application.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Time frame

3 to 6 months

The process generally takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months based on how long it might take for the probation department to conduct a background investigation.


After turning in your application

You must submit your application in person. At that time, you will interviewed by a probation officer.

Court hearing

You will receive a copy of the Sealing Order signed by the judge if your petition is granted, or a copy of the Order for Denial if the judge denies your petition. If your application is sent by mail (only in special cases) you must call probations to make sure the Department received your application.

Tracking your application

You can track your application by calling the Probations Department

More information at Tuolomne County Probation Department, Juvenile Services Website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

You will receive a copy of the Sealing Order signed by the judge if your petition is granted. The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If your application is denied, a court certified document copy of the denial will be mailed to you. You may reapply but the time frame is based on the judge's discretion. Your fee will not be refunded and you will likely have to pay again if you reapply.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact cjcjmedia@cjcj.org or (415) 621-5661 x121.