Yuba County


Probation Department
215 5th St.
Marysville, CA 95901
(530) 749-7550
Map and directions »


Not available online

Send a notarized letter stating that you would like to seal your juvenile record, and listing your contact information, birth date, where you were born, and including the $60 application fee.

You will have to get your letter notarized to confirm your identity. You can go to a notary public to do this, or a major bank. It may cost about $10 to get your letter notarized.

Download letter



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Time frame

2 weeks - 1 month

Small county


After turning in your application

After receiving your letter, a probation officer will review your letter and call you for a phone interview to get further background information. He or she will then run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer determines that you are eligible to have your record sealed, he or she will petition the court and set a hearing date. You do not have to appear at the hearing.

Tracking your application

Call the probation department to track the status of your application.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

You will receive a copy of the Sealing Order signed by the judge if your petition is granted. The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact cjcjmedia@cjcj.org or (415) 621-5661 x121.