Alameda County


Probation Department Record Sealing Clerk
400 Broadway
P.O. Box 2059
Oakland, CA 94604
(510) 268-7050
Map and directions »

Juvenile Justice Center
2500 Fairmont Dr.
Room C1055
San Leandro, CA 94578
(510) 667-3219
Map and directions »


Get application

Application To get an juvenile record sealing packet, contact the Alameda County Probation Department by phone, mail, or just download the application materials from the website.

After reviewing the eligibility requirements, complete the application packet and send it back to the probation department, along with the $150 fee, by mail or in person.


$150 +$50 for non-felony traffic violations

$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

You can mail in money orders or cashier’s checks to the Alameda County Probation Department. Cash payments must be made in person at the Juvenile Justice Center.

Time frame

5+ months


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, the record sealing clerk will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabiliation. Based on this investigation, the record sealing clerk officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You may not be required to attend the hearing, although it is recommended that you are present to answer any questions the judge may have.

Tracking your application

"Process (Tracking your application) It is difficult to track the record, however you may try by contacting the Record Sealing Clerk at (510) 268-7050.

More information at Alameda County Probation site »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.