Monterey County


Probation Department
1422 Natividad Rd.
Salinas, CA 93906
(831) 755-3900
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application to seal your juvenile records, contact the Monterey County Probation Department by mail to have the documents sent to you, or pick up an application in person. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return your completed application and the $117 non-refundable, application fee to the Probation Department by mail or in person. The fee must be made payable to the Finance Department.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

Cash, cashier's checks, or money orders are acceptable forms of payment.

Time frame

2-6 months

The process may take anywhere from 3-6 months, however most are completed within 2-3 months.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a probation officer may contact you to ask you some questions about your application. The probation officer will then run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

If you run the risk of having your application denied by a judge, then a probation officer will notify you and suggest that you do not continue with the application. A probation officer will send a letter to you stating the risks and recommending you do not reapply unless you want to hire an attorney. You can re-submit your application at any time, but your fee will not be reimbursed.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing, but it is highly recommended that you are present to answer any questions the judge may have.

Tracking your application

You can call the Probation Department to track your application.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.