Kings County


Probation Department
1424 Forum Dr.
Hanford, CA 93290
(559) 852-2850
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application to seal your juvenile record, contact the Kings County Probation Department either by mail or by phone to have an application sent to you, or download it here. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return your completed application to the Probation Department, along with the $75 non-refundable, application fee.



$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

Cash or personal checks are accepted forms of payment.

Time frame

1-3 months

The process generally takes between 1-3 months, but averages around 2 months.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a probation officer will interview you, and conduct an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing, but it is highly recommended that you are present to answer any questions the judge may have.

Tracking your application

Contact the probation department to find out where your application is in the process.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If your application is denied you may reapply, unless you were denied due to a moral turpitude offense, which would make your record ineligible to seal. There is no reimbursement of the fee, and you must repay the fee to reapply. There is no time limit for reapplying. If your application is denied you will be notified by mail, and if your application was denied by probation, you will be told why you were denied.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.