Shasta County


Juvenile Probation Department
2680 Radio Lane
Redding, CA 96001
(530) 225-5230
Map and directions »


Not available online

To get an application, contact the Juvenile Probation Department in person, or by phone or mail to have the forms sent to you. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application to the Juvenile Probation Department. You will receive a receipt for your $60/$150 payment when it is received.


$60 +$150 (The $60 fee covers misdemeanor offense sealing. The $150 fee covers felony offense sealing).

$0 for those currently under age 26.


Fees can be waived by speaking to the Juvenile Probation Department Division Director and demonstrating sufficient hardship. No additional forms need to be competed to request a fee waiver.

Payment methods accepted:

Cash, check, or money order are accepted forms of payment.

Time frame

The whole process can take up to 6 months to complete, but usually about 2 months.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, the Director of the Probation Department will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabiliation. Based on this investigation, the director will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the Director does not approve your application, then your application doesn’t go any further. If the Director does approve your application, it goes to the District Attorney's office, then goes to court before the judge. There is no hearing, but the judge will ultimately decide whether or not your juvenile record may be sealed.

Tracking your application

You can call the Juvenile Probation Department to check on the status of your application.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If your application to seal your record is denied, you will be informed why your application was not approved when you receive the judge's order in the mail. You are encouraged to wait at least a year if you are interested in re-applying and will likely have to pay the fee again.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.