Mendocino County


Juvenile Probation Department
589 Low Gap Rd.
Ukiah, CA 95482
(707) 234-6930
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application to seal your juvenile record, contact the Probation Department either in person, or by phone or mail or have it sent to you via mail. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return your completed application and the $150 non-refundable application fee to the Probation Department in person or by mail.



$0 for those currently under age 26.


Yes. You can submit a letter describing your financial difficulty and the Probation Department will decide whether or not to waive the fee.

Payment methods accepted:

Checks, cash, cashier's checks, or money orders are all accepted forms of payment.

Time frame

3-4 months


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing, but it is highly recommended that you are present to answer any questions the judge may have.

Tracking your application

Not available

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

It is your responsibility as the applicant to contact the court and check in on the status of your application. You will not be notified if your application is granted, so you must call the Juvenile Court to check when a decision has been made.

If the judge grants your petition to seal, the Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, "The applicant has no record." Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

The court does not mandate a time frame for the agencies to comply with the order, so you should contact each agency and check on the status of your records there.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

It is your responsibility as the applicant to contact the Court and check in on the status of your application. You will not be notified if your application is denied, so you must call the Juvenile Court to check both when your hearing is scheduled and when a decision about your application has been made.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.