Ventura County


Ventura Superior Court, Juvenile Courthouse
4353 E. Vineyard Ave.
Room 122
Oxnard, CA 93036
(805) 981-5521
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application, either download the forms (Form VN077) from the Ventura County Superior Court website, or request the forms via mail or in person at the Juvenile Courthouse. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application, along with the application fee, to the Ventura Superior Court, Juvenile Courthouse by mail or in person. If submitting by mail, send your application to P.O. Box 6489, Ventura, CA 93006. If you submit by mail you will not be notified when your application is received.



$0 for those currently under age 26.


There is a waiver if you cannot afford the fee. The waiver applications are available at the Court Clerk's Office in the Juvenile Courthouse.

Payment methods accepted:

Checks, cash, money orders, or mastercard, are all accepted forms of payment.

Time frame

4-6 months

The process may takes 4-6 months. It can take the court 1-2 months after fully processing your application.


After turning in your application

After you submit your application, the court will then forward a copy to the Juvenile Probation Department for review. A Probation Officer will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabiliation.

Court hearing

Once a probation officer has reviewed your petition, they will send their recommendation to the court which will then send a copy of that to the Public Defenders and District Attorney's office for a request for a hearing or opposition. After 10 days has elapsed and no request for hearing or opposition has been filed by the Public Defenders or District Attorney's office, the court will then prepare an "Order to Seal Juvenile Records" and send that to the judge to grant or deny the order.

Tracking your application

To track your application, you can call the probation officer assigned to your case, or call the courthouse.

More information at Ventura County Superior Court Website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

If granted, the court will send you and all the agencies involved a copy of the order. The court will then seal your record in the court's system and physically seal your case file as well. The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If your application is denied, you will be mailed a copy of the order with the judge's signature. You can reapply in some cases, but it is up to the judge and the status of your case. Your fee will not be reimbursed and if you reapply you will have to repay the fee.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.