Santa Cruz County


Probation Department
303 Water St.
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831) 454-3823
Map and directions »

Santa Cruz County Probation Department, Juvenile Records
P.O. Box 1812
Santa Cruz, CA 9506


Get application

To get the applicationto seal your juvenile records, visit the Probation Department in person, request the forms by phone or by mail, or download the application matierial from the Santa Cruz County website. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed application to the Probation Department. You must also include an essay providing examples in your life that show evidence of rehabiliation. You will be notified by mail when your application is received.



$0 for those currently under age 26.

Time frame

2-4 months

The probation investigation itself takes up to about a week, then it generally takes about a month to schedule a hearing on the court calendar.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a Probation Officer will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabiliation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. It is not mandatory to attendthe hearing, however you and/or your attorney may appear to speak with the judge, and you are encouraged to do so.

Tracking your application

Not available

More information at Santa Cruz County Juvenile Services Website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

If your records are ordered sealed, the Court will send copies of the order to the agencies you have listed. When all of those agencies have informed the Court that their records have been sealed, you will be notified of the completion of the sealing. This process can be quite lengthy; it generally takes several months from the filing of the petition to the complete sealing of your records.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If the court denies your application, an order is sent back to the probation officer assigned to the case. The court will also send you a letter to notify you that your application was denied. You can resubmit application to seal, but only within the parameters of the court's decision. (i.e. if court denied because they want you to show a longer period of time for rehabilitation, you may resubmit after the allotted time. If court denied because you did not pay a fine, the court may say that you can resubmit once fine has been paid.)

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.