Lake County


Probation Department
201 S. Smith St.
Lakeport, CA 95453
(707) 262-4285
Map and directions »


Not available online

To get an application to seal your juvenile record, contact the Lake County Probation Department either by mail to have an application sent to you, or you may pick one up from the office in person. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return your completed application to the Probation Department, along with a copy of your I.D., a copy of an employment verification document (pay stubs or a letter from employer), a copy of your diploma or GED for verification of education, the $120 non-refundable, application fee, and (if you wish to qualify for the fee waiver) bank statements indicating your income and debt.



$0 for those currently under age 26.


Yes. To obtain a fee waiver, you must ask for it and supply a copy of your bank statements indicating your income and debt.

Payment methods accepted:

Personal checks and money orders are acceptable forms of payment.

Time frame

2-5 weeks

The entire process generally takes 2 weeks but can take up to a month.


After turning in your application

After receiving the form, a probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing, but it is highly recommended that you are present to answer any questions the judge may have.

Tracking your application

You can track your application by calling the probation department, or by contacting your attorney, if they filed the application on your behalf.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If your application is denied, you will be notified by mail with a copy of the Court Order. Unless you have committed a crime that will not allow you to have your record sealed, you will be eligible to reapply. The judge will set a time frame for when you can reapply depending on why the judge denied the request to seal. There is no refund of the fee and you will have to pay the fee again when you reapply.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.