San Benito County


Probation Department
400 Monterey St.
Hollister, CA 95023
(831) 636-4070
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application to seal your juvenile record, either visit the San Benito Probation Department in person, or contact them by phone or mail to have the application forms sent to you. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return the completed applications to the Probation Department in person or by mail.



$0 for those currently under age 26.


San Benito county is in the process of creating waivers, ask them the probation department if waivers are available yet.

Payment methods accepted:

Accepted forms of payment are cash (for payments made in person only), credit card (for payments made online only), money order (for payments made by mail only).

Time frame

6 months to 1 year

The judge does not like to review records until the applicant has been off probation for a year.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a Probation Officer will conduct a background investigation and decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step may be to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. If your case is informal (meaning you did not serve maximum jail time but instead completed some court ordered program with minimal supervision), your application will be sent to the judge with an order. If your case is formal (meaning you were adjudicated in juvenile court and completed superivsed probation) then there will be a hearing. You are not required to attend the hearing, and it is generally not necessary for you to attend.

Tracking your application

You can track your application by calling the Probation Department.

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.