El Dorado County


Probation Department
Shingle Springs Office
3974 Duock Road
Suite 205
Shingle Springs, CA 95682
(530) 621-5625
Map and directions »

Probation Department
South Lake Tahoe Office
1360 Johnson Blvd
Suite 102
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
(530) 541-1880
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an applicatiom, either contact the El Dorado County Probation Department and ask to have it mailed to you, or download it here or from the El Dorado County website. There are two Probation Department offices in El Dorado County, so request to seal your juvenile records through the office with which you had primary contact during your probation OR choose the office nearest to whatever agency you had primary contact with. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, complete the forms and return them to the Probation Department via fax, mail, or in person.



$0 for those currently under age 26.

Time frame

2-3 months

The time frame depends on the work load of the probation department.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, your probation officer will run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabiliation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing.

Tracking your application

Contact the probation department

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The record seal will direct the agencies you list on your Petition to Seal to seal your record and to respond to any request of this information as “The applicant has no record”. Once your record is sealed, you may respond to any inquiry regarding a juvenile record that you have none. El Dorado County only sends the Order to Seal Records to agencies located in El Dorado county. If you have had contact with agencies outside of El Dorado county, you may need to apply to seal records in those counties. However, in your application to seal in El Dorado county, you should still list all the agencies you've had contact with despite even if those agencies are outside of El Dorado county.

The court mandates that the listed agencies comply with the Order to Seal 30 days after receiving it.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will be notified by mail and will receive a copy of the judge's order denying your petition to seal your juvenile records. If you have been denied "without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. You will need to repay the sealing fee and will not be refunded for the payment you previously made for the seal. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact cjcjmedia@cjcj.org or (415) 621-5661 x121.