Nevada County


Juvenile Division of Probation
109 1/2 N. Pine St.
Nevada City, CA 95959
(530) 265-1300
Map and directions »

Nevada County Superior Court
201 Church Street
Nevada City, CA 95959
(530) 265-1294
Map and directions »


Get application

To get an application, pick one up from the Probation Department in person, contact the Probation Department by phone or mail go have the forms sent to you, or download the application here or from the Nevada County website. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, return your completed application to the Probation Department Juvenile Division in person or by mail.


$150 +$35 Administrative Fee

$0 for those currently under age 26.



Payment methods accepted:

Checks, cash, or money orders are accepted. Credit cards are accepted by collections.

Time frame

3-6 months

The time frame for the sealing process depends on how complex your record is (i.e. the number of counties involved or the types of crimes committed). After the Probation Department completes it's investigation, the court calendars the hearing 26 days after receiving the recommendation.The process generally takes 3-4 months, but can take up to 6.


After turning in your application

After receiving your application, a probation officer may contact you to ask you some questions about your application. The probation officer will then run an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing, but it is highly recommended that you are present to answer any questions the judge may have.

Tracking your application

To track your application, call the Juvenile Division of the Probation Department. They have a system where they can see where each application is in the sealing process.

More information at Nevada County Website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record, and also direct them to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, “The applicant has no record.” Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

You will receive a letter stating why your application was denied. If your application was denied due to an offense not being eligible to be sealed, then you can not reapply. However, if your application was denied because you failed to pay off a fine then you can reapply after paying that fine. If you take care of the fine quickly, you may not need to repay the sealing fee, because your application will still be on file, though this is not guaranteed.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.