Humboldt County


Probation Department
2002 Harrison Ave
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 445-7401
Map and directions »

Humboldt County Superior Court
825 5th St.
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 445-7256
Map and directions »


Get application

To request a "Juvenile Record Sealing Packet," contact the Probation Department by either phone or mail. After you have reviewed the eligibility requirements for juvenile record sealing, complete the forms and return them to the Probation Department by mail or in person along with $150, non-refundable application fee (and fee waiver if applicable).



$0 for those currently under age 26.


For waiver information, please review the Information Sheet on Waiver of Juvenile Record Sealing Fee and the Application for Financial Evaluation.

Time frame

6 months

Allow 2-3 months for probation officers investigation, then up to 3 additional months to schedule a court hearing.


After turning in your application

Once the packet is returned to the Probation Department, a probation officer will interview you, and conduct an investigation to decide if you are eligible to have your juvenile record sealed. The investigation will be focused on your basic eligibility, a criminal background check, and evidence of rehabilitation. Based on this investigation, the probation officer will write a report either recommending that your record be sealed, or stating that you are not eligible to have your record sealed and why.

Court hearing

If the probation officer recommends that your record be sealed, the next step is to calendar a juvenile court hearing with a judge, the probation officer and the district attorney. At this hearing, a judge will decide whether or not your juvenile records may be sealed. You do not have to appear at the hearing, but you may be advised to appear at the court hearing, depending on the nature of your records.

Tracking your application

Contact the probation department

More information at Humboldt County website »

Learn more about the sealing process »


Once a judge reviews your application they will either grant or deny your request to seal your juvenile record. A judge may choose to deny your application for reasons including a lack of rehabilitation, adult charges, and crimes of moral turpitude.

If your application is granted

The Court will send a record sealing order to all of the agencies involved in your case, which includes, but is not limited to, police agencies, probation agencies, and courts. The order will direct the agencies you listed on your application to seal your record and to respond to anyone asking about your juvenile record to say, "The applicant has no record." Once your record is sealed, you may legally say that you do not have a juvenile record.

The agencies listed in the Order will notify the court of compliance and when all agencies report they have complied with the order, the records are considered sealed. You may confirm with the probation department to see if all agencies have complied.

Sealing a juvenile record does not affect the ability of insurance companies to access your records through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Sacramento, nor will it prevent the Federal Government, including branches of the military service, from accessing your sealed records pursuant to Section 781 of the Welfare and Institutions code.

All juvenile records must be reported even though sealed when applying for a security clearance or employment with a private company that engages in business with the Federal Government.

If your application is denied

If you are not present at the hearing you will be notified by either the Probation Department or the Juvenile Court. If you are present at your hearing you will be notified in person by the judge. If your application is denied “without prejudice" you may resubmit your application once you have resolved the issues blocking the seal on your record, such as paying restitution or waiting a longer period of time to show rehabilitation. If you do not receive the order, you should check in with your probation officer.

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Seal It is a project from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, with generous support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

To report an error, contact or (415) 621-5661 x121.